Can patients with kidney disease eat carambola?

Carambola, also known as " belimbing ", with the alias of star fruit, belonging to tropical and subtropical fruit and native to south Asian tropical and subtropical regions.They are deeply loved by many people because of its low price, taste and juicy. 

Carambola is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and potassium and with antioxidant and antimicrobial activity. However, it also has a fatal danger: Caramboxin and oxalic acid, the two substances are harmful, the former is a neurotoxin, the latter can form calcium oxalate with calcium ion in the human body and leads to kidney stone.

If people with nephropathy eat too much carambola, their neurotoxins can cause symptoms such as delirium, weakness and numbness in some patients with kidney disease, and even coma. For patients with kidney failure, even if they eat one carambola, there will be varying degrees of toxicity, and the heavy ones can rapidly develop into uremia or even death. What are the manifestations of carambola poisoning?

In general, carambola poisoning often expressed as intractable hiccups, vomiting and neuropsychiatric disorders, hyperkalemia, hematuria, chronic renal failure, acute exacerbation, etc., even leads to death.

Three levels of carambola poisoning

Mild poisoning: hiccups, vomiting, insomnia;

Moderate poisoning: irritability, limbs sensory disturbance or abnormality, mild disorder of consciousness.

Severe poisoning: moderate or severe disorder of consciousness, coma, epilepsy, hypotension, shock.

Patients in the stage of moderate and severe poisoning should have timely hemodialysis or plasma exchange.

For the health of kidney disease patients, please stay away from carambola.